Tourist Visa

Usa Tourist visa requirement

Nonimmigrant Visa application form DS-160

If you are applying for a US nonimmigrant visa you should complete the online application form DS-160.  You can fill the DS-160 form online via:

  • the Consular Electronic Application Center or,
  • by using the services of a third party company such as TravelAssist.
Why do we advise to apply through TravelAssist?
  • TravelAssist’s staff will fill in the form DS-160 to book your visa appointment with the US Embassy/Consulate.
  • They will provide you with a complete list of required documents for your US Visa application and will check your prepared application file to make sure your application has the highest possible prospect of success.
  • The staff of TravelAssist will offer 24/7 online support regarding your visa application.
  • If your US visa application is successful TravelAssist will get you your visa quickly.
  • In the event of denied entry to the US they offer Travel Protection that will cover your financial expenses.
  • TravelAssist is a specialized company in processing US visa applications and has helped over 20,000 people enter the United States. They provide end-to-end visa assistance to help you successfully enter the United States.

The application form DS-160 consists of two parts. The first part contains questions about personal information as:

  • Full name
  • Marital Status
  • Nationality
  • Date & Place of Birth
  • Address
  • Country
  • Mobile number
  • Email
  • Passport number
  • Passport book number
  • Family information
  • Education
  • Work, etc.

The second part of the online application form consists of questions on security and background information as: if you have ever been arrested, or convicted for an offense or crime. If you have ever engaged in a conspiracy to violate, any law relating to controlled substances, if you have ever been involved in money laundering, or you ever ordered, incited, committed, assisted, or otherwise participated in genocide, etc.

Immigrant Visa application form DS-260

If you are applying for an immigrant visa you should fill the DS-260 application form online.

  • You will have to give personal details as:
    Full name in English characters
  • Full name in Native Alphabet
  • Date of Birth
  • Place of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Home Address
  • Phone number
  • Email
  • Occupation
  • Education
  • Family information: Parents, spouse / previous spouse, children
  • Previous US Travel Information

There are also a couple of questions on security and Background related to:

  • Medical and Health information,
  • Criminal Information
  • Security Information
  • Immigration law violation information
  • Miscellaneous, etc.

Click here for a full DS-260 application form in pdf, so you can prepare the answers in advance.

All answers must be in English, with English letters, in both application forms. Most of the questions are mandatory, but there are some other optional questions that you can choose not to answer. At the end of the application, there is a “Sign Application” button which you should click on. If you do not click on this button it may result in US visa refusal.

After you fulfill the form, submit it and print the confirmation page. Take this page with you when you attend the interview as proof of submitting the application.


You must possess a passport which is six months valid beyond your planned stay in the US. However, check which countries are exempted from this requirement, because the US has an agreement with some countries the residents of which only need a passport that is valid during their period of stay in  USA, and not longer.

Remember that your passport must have at least one blank page in order to be able to affix visa.

Two photographs

The US visa photo requirement is one of the main requirements for every visa you apply for.

Upload the photo while you apply online through the DS-160 form. If the upload fails, you can submit the photo on the appointment day. However, we advise you that, even if you upload the photo online, to still bring it with you just in case you need it during the interview.

Visa Fee

Differently from the European visa policy where you pay the fee at on the appointment day, for a US visa you need to pay the fee in order to be able to schedule an interview. The fee that applicants should pay depends on the type of visa one applies for.

Keep in mind that the visa fee is non-refundable if you decide to cancel your appointment or if your visa application is rejected. Find out more about U.S visa fees here.

Supporting Documents for USA Visa

Aside from the main documents, there are others you will have to submit in order to support the answers you have given in your application form.

Previous USA visas

If you have visited the US before with an older passport, then you shall take it with you on the day of the interview at the embassy or consulate, in order to be able to prove that you have entered the country before.

Travel itinerary

The travel itinerary is a travel plan that shows what you are planning to do while you are in the US. It includes documents as a purchased flight reservation that shows your planned date of entry and exit in the US, and also inner flight reservations if applicable.

Also, you will have to submit some proof of accommodation that shows where you are planning to stay in the US (hotel, rented house, a friend’s or relative’s house, etc.), or just show that you have enough financial means to book a hotel once in the US.

Sponsorship documents

If you are planning to come to the US sponsored by another person who is a US resident then you will have to show proof of that. The sponsor must submit these documents:

  • Letter for Affidavit – which is a letter that confirms the sponsor is capable of financially supporting you during your whole stay
  • Employment Letter – that shows the sponsor is employed and shows the salary he is paid.
  • Payslips – three to four recent payslips
  • Bank Letter – that shows the days when the account was opened, the total amount of money deposited during the past year and the present balance.

Property Documents

If you have property in your home country or somewhere else you should show proof for that. Having property is a huge plus if you are applying for a nonimmigrant visa since that shows you have stronger ties with your home country and you do not intend to remain in the US. If you do, bring proof on the appointment day as:

  • Original ownership papers
  • Photographs of that property
  • Personal affidavit regarding the property

Employment / Professional Documents

  • If employed – bring a letter from an employer that gives details on your position, salary, length of employment, the period of authorized vacation and purpose of the trip to the US.
  • If retired – pension book.
  • If self-employed – company registration certificate and income details.

Family Documents

Anything like: Birth certificate, marriage certificate, close family photographs, adoption certificate (if you are adopted or have adopted a child), divorce certificate, spouse’s death certificate, etc.

Letter from a physician

You are required to schedule a medical appointment with an authorized physician in the country where you will be interviewed. You must complete your medical examination with an embassy-approved doctor. Exams conducted by other physicians will not be accepted.


Every document not written in either English or the official language of the country in which the interview will take place must be translated. Translations must be certified by a competent translator.

Visa Specific Documentation

Extra documents might be required for a US visa depending on the type of visa you are applying for.

Visitor visa

If you are applying for US visitor visas then a letter of invitation may be required. A letter of invitation is a letter written by a United States citizen or legal resident, confirming that they are willing to admit an international with whom they have family ties or friendship, and also that they have enough room for the visitor for the entire period of their stay in the US.

Tourist Schengen Visa – Traveling to Europe for Tourism

A Tourist Schengen Visa permits third-country nationals enter into the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days within a 6-month period, under the purpose of traveling or visiting Europe for pleasure.

Who needs a Tourist Schengen Visa When Traveling to Europe for Tourism?

Non-European citizens willing to travel to Europe for tourism purpose might be required to apply for a short-term Schengen visa under “tourist” specification.

You need to apply for a Schengen Tourist Visa if your nationality is on the list of countries whose nationals need a Schengen short-stay visa.

What Documents are Required When Applying for a Tourist Schengen Visa?

When applying for a Tourist Schengen Visa, you must submit the following documents:

  • Visa application form. Fully completed with correct information, printed and signed at the end.
  • Two recent photos. Taken within the last three months, in compliance with the Schengen visa photo criteria.
  • Valid passport. No older than ten years and with a minimum validity of three months beyond your planned stay in Schengen. It must have at least two blank pages in order to be able to affix the visa sticker.
  • Roundtrip reservation or itinerary. A document that includes dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the Schengen area. Find out how to get flight reservation for tourist visa application.
  • Travel Health Insurance. Evidence that you have purchased health insurance that covers medical emergencies with a minimum of €30,000, for your whole period of stay.
  • Proof of accommodation. Evidence that shows where you will be staying throughout your time in Schengen. This could be a:
    • Hotel/hostel booking. With name, complete address, phone and e-mail, for the entire time you will be in the Schengen area.
    • Rent agreement. If you have rented a place, in the country you will be staying.
  • Letter of tour organizer. If you will be traveling with a tour agency.
  • Proof of financial means. Evidence that shows you have enough money to support yourself throughout your stay in Schengen. This could be a:
    • Bank account statement.
    • Sponsorship Letter. When another person will be financially sponsoring your trip to the Schengen Zone. It is also often called as an Affidavit of Support.
    • A combination of both.
  • Evidence of employment status.
    • If employed:
      • Employment contract,
      • Leave permission from the employer
      • Income Tax Return
    • If self-employed:
      • A copy of your business license,
      • Company’s bank statement of the latest 6 months
      • Income Tax Return (ITR)
    • If a student:
  • Travel Itinerary. A description of your trip to Europe, your purpose of travelling, which places are you going to visit in Europe, the time frame and all the personal data.
  • For Minors:
    • Either birth certificate / proof of adoption / custody decree if parents are divorced / death certificate of parent
    • Letter of consent from parents, including passport copies of both parents/ legal guardian

Where to Submit the Tourist Schengen Visa Application?

You will have to lodge your Tourist Schengen Visa application at the embassy / consulate / visa center of your main destination in the Schengen Area.

By main destination, we mean:

  • When visiting only one Schengen state, submit your application at the embassy / consulate / visa center of that country.
  • When visiting more than two Schengen states, submit your application at the embassy / consulate / visa center of the country:
    • In which you will be spending more days
    • In which you will step in first, since you plan to spend an equal amount of days in each.

Pay attention to how the authorities of your main destination have regulated visa submission in your country. In bigger countries, visa submission is regulated through jurisdictions. Make sure to apply at the embassy, consulate or visa center of your destination country, under the jurisdiction of which the area where you live falls.

How to Apply for a Tourist Schengen Visa?

To complete your Tourist Schengen visa application successfully, follow these steps:

  1. Make sure you qualify for a Tourist Schengen Visa. Due to the fact that there are a several Schengen visa types, you must make sure that the visa you need is this one.
  2. Find out where you need to apply.
  3. Figure out the best time to lodge your tourist visa application.
  4. Collect the required documents for a Tourist Schengen Visa.
  5. Make an appointment at the embassy of your destination country. You may have to make this appointment online or in-person at the embassy / consulate / visa center.
  6. Attend the visa interview.
  7. Pay the tourist visa fee.
  8. Wait for a response on your visa application.

When to Apply for a Tourist Schengen Visa?

Submit your Tourist Schengen Visa application at least 15 calendar days prior to your planned journey to the Schengen Area. This is the latest you can file your application. On the other hand, the earliest you can apply for a Tourist visa to the Schengen Zone, is three months before your trip.

How long does it take to receive the visa?

It is advisable to apply for a Schengen Tourist Visa at least 2 weeks prior to the planned trip. The Embassy Consulate will then reply in 10 working days as common (or less as usually occurs), the time taken to proceed all the documentation and the travelers request. Depending on the situation, proceeding time might take up to two months if there is something extraordinary with the individual case or any unusual political situation is on the go.

How long is the visa valid for?

Tourist visa is commonly valid for stays no more than 90 days. If you will be traveling a lot and not only in one Schengen country it’s recommendable to fill in the “multiple entry” gap in the application form. This way you will be able to enter and leave Schengen Zone as you please for the amount of time allowed on your visa issued.

Can I extend a Tourist Schengen Visa?

A Tourist Schengen visa can be extended only in some very specific occasions, as:

  • Late Entry
  • Humanitarian Reasons
  • Force Majeure
  • Important Personal Reasons

However, remember that the chances to extend your Schengen visa are very low. In order to get a tourist visa extension for any of the reasons given above, your application needs very strong arguments.

Open chat
How Can I Help You!